A quick, wholesome, delicious Thai style chicken curry and jasmine rice- just what we needed last night after the long day.
This week, I set myself two challenges –
1) not spending any money unnecessarily
2) eating home cooked meals and thus sticking to the budget.
I don’t need to track our spendings to know that a big chunk of it is spent in eating out and takeaways. Even though I cook a lot, most nights that we have activities on end up being takeaway nights.
This dish helped me stay on track.
Cooking this dinner must have cost me $10 or $15 at the most. Here’s the breakdown:
Diced chicken- 600 gms – $6.50
Masterfoods Creamy Thai Chicken paste – $2
McCormick Slow cooker mild curry powder – $0( from the pantry – think I paid $1 for it ages ago)
Veggies – from the fridge -$3
Coconut cream can -$1.50
Jasmine rice – $1(?) – from the pantry ( I think it was $12 for a 10 kg bag)
Total cost – 14
We got 6 meals out of this – that’s 6 meals for $2.30 each!!!! Mind-blowing!!!
Best part – the kids loved it too!
The recipe doesn’t get simpler than this .
- Heat some oil in a pan. Brown the chicken. Put it aside.
- Fry some slice onions and capsicum in the same pan.
- Add the Thai paste , the curry powder and the coconut milk, stir well to break lumps.
- Add the chicken back in the pan & let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add Brocollini and cover the pan. Switch off the heat & let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving hot on steamed Jasmine rice.
Sending lots of happy cooking vibes your way ..