So,I saw these cookies on a fellow Raveller’s blog and Aadi caught me!And she demanded for some.I was drooling myself and decided to try the recipe.Only..I was/am on a diet and I didn’t want to blow it.So,I decided to play around with the ingredients.So here’s a dieter’s version of the cookies..
3/4 stick of butter(at room temperature)
3/4 cup sugar(I just had one kind)
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
2 cups flour.
(I just changed the quantity of butter)
And followed the rest of the recipe ,as is..from Here
1) Using a hand/stand mixer beat the butter till smooth and very creamy. Add the sugars and beat until well blended, about 1 minute. The mixture should be smooth and velvety, not fluffy and airy.
2) Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in the egg yolks, again beating till the mixture is homogenous.
3) Add the flour and mix using a spatula, until the dough looks uniformly moist. The dough will not clean the sides of the bowl nor will it come together in a ball. You want to work the dough AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.
4) Divide the dough in half and shape each piece into a smooth log about 9 inches long.
5) Wrap the logs well and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
6) Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper.[160Deg in Fan Forced oven]
7) Remove the log of dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it and place it on a parchment paper. Brush some yolk all over the sides of the dough- this is the glue then sprinkle the entire surface of the log with coarse sugar.
8) Slice the log into 1/3 – 1/2 inch thick cookies ( no thinner than 1/4 inch). Place the round on the baking sheets.
9) Bake for 17-20 mins. When properly baked the cookies will be light brown on the bottom, lightly golden around the edges and pale on top. Remove from the oven and let it rest a minute before carefully lifting them onto a rack to cool to room temperature.
The cookies were yummy!!! I used the fan forced oven and heated it up too much..burnt the first batch!By the second batch,I realised my mistakeand adjusted the temperature.The cookies came out beautiful and were demolished in 10 minutes flat.I just got to taste 1 ..rest was gobbled up by the father-daughter!
I am going to try this again..I m thinking..if the diet version is sooo good..how good would the Real thing be??